Mapping your GL Accounts in ConnectWise PSA to your Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online doesn't have to be complex. We often will see a business change their chart of accounts in QuickBooks and and cause syncing errors in their invoices.
- Map by account number
- This is easier to map and will not affect your integration if you change the name of the account
- We give you the option to map your chart of accounts either by name or by account number. We recommend mapping by account number for a few reasons. You can change the name of the account without affecting the integration and it's much simpler to map your subaccounts.
- Map your products by Category or Subcategory
- This allows granularity in reporting and is very important specifically when dealing with inventory.
- For mapping purposes categories and subcategories allows granularity in reporting for agreements or products resale
- Be sure to double check all categories or subcategories have been mapped to avoid errors in the future.
- Avoid using a catchall mapping at the My Company Level
- While this will ensure all invoices are batched successfully, this can be hard to unravel in your financial statements.
- By not mapping a general, catchall mapping, you will get an error when something is not intentionally mapped, calling action to what needs to be fixed.
- Create a process to update the GL Account mapping for new product categories and subcategories.
- Having a process in place to update GL Account mappings when new categories and subcategories are created will ensure your invoices and purchase orders are successfully able to sync without a delay.
- Map your COGS accounts for products
- Review our Product Costing KBA for more information- Product Costing GL Accounts Mapping
- Review our GL Account Mapping article
- Be sure to review all GL Mapping categories mention in our GL Account Mapping Knowledge base
- Verify that all applicable mappings have been mapped.
Need Additional Assistance?
If you'd like additional help with these best practices, or other best practices for running your IT services firm, schedule an introductory free consultation.